Ration Packs I Have Come Across, Trevor Connell, 2016. Download the complete article (above) in full in greater detail and readability. This has featured in several parts in HARIM TOK TOK.
The Story of Marsden Matting. Download the article on the left.
Keepers of the Gate - Bob Collins. This is not a history of NGVR. These are the stories of thirty-seven NGVR soldiers—stories which reveal why they were in New Guinea as civilians at that fateful time, their wartime and postwar experiences and the effect on them and their families.
The stories were written as told to Bob Collins, who served in PNGVR, the postwar CMF unit in Papua New Guinea. He met many ex-NGVR men and saw many areas where NGVR operated on the frontline. We are grateful to this small band of courageous and adventurous men, the Keepers of the Gate —our front line of the Pacific War —and these stories are a legacy these outstanding men deserve.
Use the Order Form below.
1. PNGVR - A History 1951 - 1973, Bob Harvey-Hall, MAJ, RSD, ED, (Rtd) Download the order form above.
2. “Series I Volume IV, Japanese Thrust” by Wigmore Lionel, AWM., 1957
3. “Series I Volume V, South-west Pacific area, first year, Kokoda to Wau” by McCarthy Dudley, AWM, 1959 (see Chapters 3 and 8)
4. “Series I, Volume VI, New Guinea Offensives” by Dexter David, AWM, 1961 (see Chapter 1)
5. “The New Guinea Volunteer Rifles 1939-1943- a history” by Ian Downs
6. “3rd Force - ANGAU”, by Professor Powell
7. “Commando-Double Black: A historical narrative of the 2/5th Independent Company later 2/5 Commando Squadron” by A.A (Andy) Pirie. Australian Military History Publications, 13 Veronica Place, Loftus, NSW, 2232, 1996.
8. “To Find a Path”, Volumes 1 and 2, by James Sinclair. Publisher: Boolarong Publications, Bowen Hills, Qld 1990.
9. “Hostages to Freedom - the fall of Rabaul” by Peter Stone
10. “Rabaul 1942” by Douglas Aplen. Pacific Press
11. “El Tigre” by Frank Holland, MBE - Commando Coastwatcher. Published by Oceans Enterprises, 303-505 Commercial Road, Yarram, Vic 3971
12. “Australian Army: The Pacific Islands Regiment - History” by M.B Pears
13. “The Coast Watchers” by Eric Feldt. Published by Oxford University Press, 1946. Reprinted 1981.
14. Stories covering the war time experiences of some NGVR veterans - published in the Association’s “Harim Tok Tok” quarterly newsletter. These stories were written and edited as told to Bob Collins by the participants.
15. Relevant web sites under PNG/NGVR/PNGVR etc.
16. The Australian Army and Department of Information, 1943, Battle of Wau - An Official Publication, An Australian Army at War Series. Australia, Department of Information.
17. The Australian Army and Department of Information, 1944 “Salamaua Siege, an Official Publication” Australian Army at War Series, Sydney, Department of Information.
18. "New Guinea Experience, Gold, War and Peace - 1940 to 1965" by Jim Huxley, NGVR and ANGAU, published by Australian Military History Publications - ISBN 0.9802045-3.
19. "The Kavieng Massacre - a war crime revealed" by Raden Dunbar, published by Sally Milner Publishing Pty Ltd, 2007, ISBN 978 1 8635 1368 5.
20. "Darkest Hour: The True Story of Lark Foce at Rabaul - Australia's Worst Military Disaster of World War II" by Bruce D. Gamble, published by Zenith Press, 2006, ISBN 07 603 23496.
21. "The Battle for Australia - the Wau to Salamaua Campaign, 1942-1943" by Captain WHJ (Bill) Phillips, OAM ED (Ret'd), a 33 page booklet first published 2000 by Phillips Publishing, Revised Feb., 2003. ISBN 0 957 8034 4 3.