907 Boundary Road ( corner Boundary Road & Fulcrum St, Wacol, Brisbane
The museum is open 1st Saturday monthly from 1000 - 1400, otherwise by appointment. See 'Contact Us' for details.
You are invited to donate or loan appropriate items to the Museum, with the knowledge they will be properly and securely looked after. The museum is protected by CCTV both inside the museum as well as outside.
Also please do not forget to make a bequest to the NGVR/PNGVR Museum in your will.
Objectives of the Museum
1. To conduct and maintain a military heritage museum, on one or more sites, to be known as the NGVR/PNGVR Military Museum.
2. To collect, preserve, restore and display all manner of historical material relating to:
(a) the military and auxilliary forces which have served, or are serving, in Papua New Guinea.
(b) the cultural and geographical diversity of the Papua New Guinea Archiplago.
3. To encourage research into Australian and Papua New Guinean military history; to publish and circulate articles from books, documents, circulars and magazines of subjects of educational interest to members; and to provide a source of reference and historical records to researchers.
4. To offer an additional public relations vehicle for the Association and to support Australian and Papua New Guinean Defence Forces activities wherever and whenever desirable.
5. To do all such lawful acts as are incidental to or are conductive of the attainment of any or all of the aforesaid aims
History of the Museum.
When Wacol army barracks was sold, the Department of Defence set aside 1.5 hectares of land and 5 historic buildings for the National Servicemen's Association of Australia (Qld Branch) or NSAAQ. Through our previous association with NSAAQ, we were invited to bid for use of one of the buildings for a museum.
Joe Fisk was the original proposer of this project and devoted much time and effort to see its completion.
Our Association was notified late 2005 of its successful bid and was asked by the NSAAQ to have it ready for its official opening on 12 February 2006. This was accomplished by a huge voluntary effort by 13 members of the Association.
The Museum was officially opened by the Australian Minister of Veteran Affairs Bruce Billson MP and PNG Consul General for Brisbane, Paul Nerau LLB on Sunday, 12 February 2006, when over 300 members of NSAAQ, our Association and guests
In recognition of this work, the Minister granted $3,000 for manikins and exhibit cabinets. The Association was also successful in winning a grant from the Queensland State Gaming Fund to air-condition the Museum. This work has been completed.
Work is continuing to collect, catalogue and exhibit the many records, artefacts and memorabilia held. Although rent is minimal, the cost of utilities and general maintenance is borne by the Association. While entry to the Museum is free, the Association appreciates a gold coin donation to assist with maintenance. In 2015 a grant of $35,000 was received from the QLD State Gaming Fund for the extensions to the museum.
The Museum has links to the Victoria Barracks and MacArthur Museums in the city.